Friday, July 1, 2011

Why I am Marching in the Save Our Schools March on July 30.

I was thinking about why I am marching on July 30th, and after reading all the reasons offered by so many I almost remained silent. I didn’t want to rehash all the great rationales offered by the many activists and bloggers. So I decided to do a little reading first. Maybe find something interesting. Something to inspire. Within seconds I came across, “To win a grant in the U.S. Department of Education's new Race to the Top competition for early-childhood education aid, states will have to … craft appropriate standards and tests for young children….” Michele McNeil
Did I miss something? Because the last time I checked, testing children under the age of nine was considered a waste of time because of issues dealing with reliability (according to testing experts). Did something change? Did I miss an announcement? Have statistical gurus at the Department of Education found a way to control for unreliability? Yes? No? Because according to the new guidelines, applicants for this round of RttT funds will, “Develop and administer kindergarten-readiness tests. . . .” Just when you thought it could not possibly get any worse, leave it to Duncan, Obama, and the U.S. Department of Education to announce more reforms that will absolutely destroy the souls of our youngest children. Sorry. But WTF?
So yes, I am marching for all the great reasons that others have already said.
I am marching for Luke (my 11-year old son) and Lacey (my 8-year old daughter).
And now I am marching for our most vulnerable and precious gifts—our youngest children!

3 comments:

  1. I'll be at the March, too!

    I'd also love to get my hands on some of that research about testing kids under 9. I could use that in my District!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just when you think it can't get more absurd... tests for sandbox-aged kiddos. Great piece, Tim.

    See you in D.C.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Krashen gave a speech at Lewis and Clark you'd be interested in (speaking of increased testing)

    http://www.lclark.edu/live/news/12376-commencement-speaker-stephen-krashen-questions

    ReplyDelete